Saturday, June 9, 2012

Roma Giorno Due

My Italian is slowly coming along...I'm finding in common situations I can understand the gist of what is being said but can't quite respond in yet. We're testing each other out during meals, though, to try to work on it. Something doesn't feel right when all these people have learned English yet I have nothing really in return.  

Today was our Vatican Museums, Sistine Chapel, and St. Peter's Basilica tour. We spent 3 hours with a guide going through all the highlights of historical and religious references to each and every piece of art, sculpture and placement within the Vatican. As I love art and architecture (especially ancient), this was yet another combination of buildings and artifacts that moved me. The intricacy in the work done in the paintings in the Sistine Chapel, and St. Peter's, is something indescribable. The extra money for our tour was worth every penny. I'm very grateful to have experienced the Vatican, even if I'm not religious. I am still able to appreciate the organization and desire for beauty in everything we saw and learned.



St. Peter's Door (The Holy Door)

This door can only be opened every 25 years during a Jubilee year. They make sure of this by cementing the inside closed in the Basilica.

 

 

The Pope's Altar

Directly beneath this alter is the tomb of St. Peter. Pope Julias II kept the tomb in the original place when St. Peter's was reconstructed in the 15th century.

 

 

 

 

A view from within St. Peter's Basilica

(a camera will never do this place justice!)

 

 

 

 

Belvedere Torso

The oldest known Greek sculpture

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

After the tour, we took the Metro back to Spagna. After another couple of hours, we saw The Spanish Steps, Piazza del Popolo, walked the length of Via del Corso (shopping district), and Fontana del Tritone. By the time we got back to the hostel, we were wiped and this began our daily afternoon nap ritual!

Dinner was out at a nearby restaurant - already we are running into food issues. Food is good, but I can't eat pasta all the time, they only seem to use white flour, and Bryan can't find meat for breakfast. I asked a tourist info booth where to find fresh fruit and she looked at me like I was nuts!!

But, on the plus side, we both found a drink we really enjoy. Bryan found a brand of red beer (La Rossa) and I love Montelpulcino d'Abruzzo wine!

No comments:

Post a Comment